With its surrounding waterfalls, bike trails, mountain ranges and bragging rights as the windsurfing capital of the world, Hood River in the Columbia River Gorge is a pretty darn good place for us adventurous types to call home. Oh, and there’s also our fab wineries, cafes and microbreweries, foodie scene, and the Hood River Fruit Loop on our doorstep. Because who wants to end a day on the water with a green smoothie, when you could hit up happy hour at Naked Winery or Double Mountain Brewery instead?
Beyond the things that the tourists come to the Gorge for (I see you, Portland peeps) here are a few funny things about living in Hood River that only us locals can appreciate.
1) You get immense satisfaction from not having to pay tax. Take that, Washington.
2) Your kids learned how to SUP before they could walk.
3) You buy a few new flannels each year. Because the 27 other ones you already own aren’t enough.
4) You don’t know how to pump your own gas.
5) You spend winter in La Ventana. AKA Hood River South.
6) And drive a Subaru.
7) What even is cheese if it’s not made by Tillamook.
8) You know that a day with no wind along the waterfront is rarer than a unicorn sighting. Everyone to the sandbar!
9) You head to Teacup to ‘get away from it all’…and end up knowing pretty much every single person you pass on the trails.
View this post on Instagram
Sunday Funday out at Teacup Nordic in Mount Hood National Forest…I can’t believe this was the first time I’ve gone cross-country skiing since junior high! As much as I love ripping down the mountain downhill skiing, I definitely appreciated the peace and quiet of x-country, and that it can be such a good workout. Promise I won’t wait another 20 years until my next time out! 🤣❄️
10) When you go to grab your coat at the gym, and struggle to pick yours out from the line of identical black or navy puffies.
11) Every day is Wine Wednesday.
12) The Christmas tree lighting is your favorite night of the year
13) You’re convinced the Baker’s Sammie at Pine Street Bakery is the best sandwich ever invented.
14) Your friends from out of town are so over listening to you go on and on about how good the water is here.
15) You can’t even count how many times you’ve been to Lost Lake. This view never gets old:
16) You groan when the Portland crowd rolls into town. Can’t we just have Pfriem to ourselves?
17) You think powder days should be recognized as a state holiday.
View this post on Instagram
18) Whenever you meet someone named Tamara, you say “Oh! Like, the Tamara from the radio?!” *Spoiler alert…WE’RE NOT THE SAME PERSON and our names are spelled differently!
19) What even is Starbucks when we’ve got Doppio?
20) If you didn’t go to Mike’s Ice Cream, did summer even happen?
SHARE THE PINSPIRATION! CLICK THE IMAGES BELOW TO PIN:
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Scenic stops: An epic itinerary for an Oregon coast road trip
- The complete guide to visiting Crater Lake National Park in Oregon
- The best Hood River wineries
- 10 lavender farms in Oregon you need to visit
- How to enjoy a luxury getaway in Whistler, British Columbia
This post may contain affiliate links, which Globe Guide receives compensation for at no additional cost to you.